Sunday, January 8, 2012

"Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

***



Amusing and frivolous. If you are a fan, like myself, chances are you will know much of what this documentary has to say already. The writing of the books, the high-brow slams and popular raves, the rising and falling waves of success over time (Frodo Lives!), the earlier animated film versions (Rankin & Bass, Ralph Bakshi), Peter Jackson's epic masterpiece; all this would be fairly well known and covered elsewhere.

There are a few bits of new and interesting info, though (to me at least). I was aware of Leonard Nimoy's "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" and of course Led Zeppelin's near obsession with Middle-Earth, but not of all the rest of the Tolkien references in popular music, especially metal. Had to download "Rivendell" by Rush after watching! Also interesting that previous film versions were attempted in the 50s and 60s, but simply never worked out. (Could you imagine a LOTR film by, gasp, Disney?!) The interviews with fans assured me that I'm not as obsessive as I thought I was. Some of these folks are just plain nuts!

I'm not so sure I can agree with the movie's claim that LOTR was pretty much responsible for the counter-culture movement of the 60s, and a bit of self-indulgence at the end slightly mars the affair. In the end, if you are a fan, a Ringer, then you'll probably enjoy yourself. If not, stay away, you will be sooooo bored. Side-note: I celebrate Bilbo and Frodo's birthday every year. You see, its my birthday, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment