Sunday, January 8, 2012

"Limitless"

*****


I guess sometimes it's just the right movie at the right time. I thought I'd like this one, but oh boy did I underestimate it! I identified with the main character, saw myself in him (at least at the beginning) to an astonishing degree. And I was enthralled by the ride he goes on, it's ups and it's downs. The story moves around in interesting and fun ways, and with one very minor exception, I didn't see the twists and turns coming.

One should not ignore the performance Bradley Cooper gives here. As his options truly become limitless, and as he becomes very aware of this, it would've been very easy for the character to become smug (or Cloony-esque, if you will). It would then have been very easy to stop liking him, and the whole film would've collapsed as a result. But Cooper prevents this, playing him so that he always seems too thrilled with everything that he's doing to ever become self satisfied. It's not the kind of performance that earns Oscars, but it is the kind that solidifies movie stars.

I must also note the cool, kinetic visual style of the film. Film is an intrinsically visual medium, and when the drug takes effect, the director uses it completely. Colors suddenly heighten and pop. The view expands and augments with fish-eye lenses and even (somehow) complete 360 degree angles. Several times there are infinite zooms traveling down New York's long avenues (these shots are incredible, and I have no idea how they were done. I have theories. lol). There are camera pans that manage to cover time as well as space, when the drug begins causing gaps in his awareness. Some of these visuals are actually a bit jarring, even eye boggling, but it all heightens the effect.

 The movie will leave you with some unanswered questions, which I only note because I know some people don't like loose threads. For me it was just one more thing to discuss afterwards. Bottom line: I had a whole lot of fun, and ultimately, isn't that what matters most?

No comments:

Post a Comment