Sunday, January 8, 2012

"The Forbidden Kingdom"

***

Very soon after this movie began I was aware of a problem. I found myself distracted at times while viewing. The story is formulaic, a sort of martial arts Wizard of Oz, but formulas can be played well, so that wasn't the problem. The movie, as directed by Rob Minkoff of The Lion King and the Stuart Little movies, can't seem to decide what it wants to be. Is it a great epic or a silly, slightly crude family movie. Over the course of nearly 2 hours it veers madly between these two very different genres, creating a film wherein a huge, sweeping shot of the heroes marching through a vast desert is followed by Jet Li peeing on Jackie Chan's head.

Which brings us to the masters. What Li and Chan do here is wonderful. It is admittedly fun to watch the pair show off, especially in the fight between the two, where each gives a display of various styles of combat. If it all seems easy for them, it still makes it no less fun to watch. If you're a fan of either Li or Chan, or both (like me), then I recommend this movie. If not, then I say view at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment